Tuesday 24 February 2009

When good comps go bad!

When Good Comps Go Bad!

The alternative title for tonights blog should have been "12 lucky people" but after a few frantic emails with the lovely Emma from my local newspaper things are not looking so good.

The comp I entered asked the mad easy question of which australian soap opera launched Isla Fishers global career? was it

a) Home and Away b) Neighbours or C) Sons and Daughters?

Pen, stamp and a well chosen postcard and the comp has been sent off.

Congratulations - Dear Winner the text said you have won A screening of shopaholic at 6.00pm at the Lowry this thursday* for yourself and 11 friends, yes they were thin on the ground at short notice and so early (most of my mates have teas to cook for hungry husbands and picky children) so my daughter rounded up the 11, all coming mostly on the promise of a goody bag " Each ticketholder will also get an exclusive tote bag crammed full with merchandise from the film" the promise stated on the competition page. I duly copied this and handed these out, spoke to a few mums who required confirmation of everything, all was looking good until...... my last email from Emma (events organiser) she wanted to make it very clear that goody bags were not on offer, just an empty reusable bag. I reminded her of the wording in the original competition only to be told .... this was not the wording she had given to the editorial dept at the newspaper.

The only part of the comp still the same is the meal for two with a bottle of wine at Lime in the Lowry. Unless of course, thats changed and its now a gregs pasty with a fresh donut of our choice!

My mind wandered back to a previous life when I was let down by an Events Manager .... oh no its not the first time a comp went AWOL Our family of four were "whisked" to whipsnade zoo, we met David Bellamy (great I waited almost 30 years and the fecks beard had gone white, where was the vibrant red beard that made having a colour tv in the 1970's so worthwhile, white, white? the kids were underwealmed especially my youngest who said "mummy why is father christmas dressed like that" she was of course referring to the khaki safari suit! I was lost for words and an adequate explanation.

Now dont get me wrong we were well fed and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel we stayed in, wonderful food and fab carvery at the zoo, but getting back to Luton station did not go to plan. Our train back to Manchester was cancelled and in its place three changes at various places along the original route home. The "Events "Management Team" fled like frightened gazelles up two flights of stairs as I turned round to request some assistance, as two of the girls had highly inappropriate footwear to have been walking round a Zoo, I still shiver with dread when I hear the sound of stilletoes on metal stairs, I get that same feeling of impending doom.

It was like Planes, Trains and Automobiles only with a very grumpy hubs (who thinks all public transport is for losers anyway) and two hungry, tired children not to mention rucksacks aplenty. I have never wanted my own bed quite so much before. Anyway back to my original story.

What will I do when the empty bags are given to my underwealmed guests? My name will be mud, mud I tell you , I wont be able to show my face in stretford/Urmston/Sale/ Hale or Bowden again and dont forget these are no ordinary school girls these are Loreto Roman Catholic Grammar Girls , never mind born with a silver spoon in their mouths, this lot were born with with a Mac makeup bag bulging with Borjois, Clarins and Touche Eclait, i can hear them now "ohmygodIcannotbelievethebagisempty OH MY GORD"

Events (Mis) Management would be a more appropriate job title


Thank god these people are not passing laws in parliament or making really big financial deals in huge banks or maybe they are ......

*Oh yeah and I darent tell hubs, who thinks its all mad anyway and will be waiting in the MEN Arena for me around 8.30ish as we have tickets for metallica.


Laters


Mahooo

No comments: