Wednesday 21 April 2010

Jillie's R.I.P....


I have been pretty busy this week, but not so busy that I hadnt noticed that the famous "Jillies nightclub" had closed/gone into liquidation. I havent shed a tear but I have dug out some old snaps taken long before home computers, mobile phones, digital cameras, flatscreened televisions. In fact the only modern invention i am sure was around at that time was the microwave, they were really big chunky things and cost a staggering £650! honestly, there was non of the popping to the supermarket and getting one for just under £50, anyway i have gone right off the subject Jillies....

The first time i went to jillies, it was a much anticipated event, i had left school so it would have been 1983, I didnt even wear heels or makeup, I had enough money to pay for entrance fee of just £1.25 and bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale (ok i copied what everyone else did) were £1 a bottle and i remember I could manage just two before i went onto coke. I loved it, there was lots of people in various fashions, i admired the girls with their back combed hair (the two Lynnes) who I thought were beautiful, they would get up to dance to "Jamies crying" by xxxxxxx, boys got up headbanging or playing air guitar (they werent joking), the dj's played all the music I loved, More than a feeling by journey, was a floor filler, I didnt want the saturday nights to end, but when they did, I would pop next door to angels and have their version of KFC, gettng the all night bus home was an eye opener, in those days they still had conductors who would come upstairs and take the fairs the 192 was an experience i wouldnt have missed for the world. The wonderful characters, everyone was having such a good time they didnt need to fight, they were just too busy rocking..

So, I dont shed a tear, times change and things move on I had the best time ever and so did everyone else who was there at that time at that age.

Its all embroidered in with concerts at the Apollo, nights at Umist rock disco and the phoenix.

When ZZ top came on the large screen everyone stopped to watch the videos of, She's got legs or sharp dressed man, or Twisted sister and we even watched and laughed at the David coverdale ones with that model girlfriend of his at the time (honestly david what were you thinking).

good times, see the snap attached? its me and Lemmy from motorhead the story goes something like this............ it must have been september 1986 and I was out with Tracy (who would later become my sister in law) but on this particular night she was just a pizzed up friend, we had been to jillies and the banshee and she was very drunk we were just walking past the midland when she looks over the road and shouts LOOK ITS LEMMY FROM MOTORHEAD, and you know what it actually was, he and his bouncer (he needed a bouncer??) came over and got talking to us and Lemmy famously said "listen girls, were staying at the piccadilly hotel, would you like to come back to our room for a drink, no funny business"? we laughed and said no and got in a taxi back to eccles, in my experience when a boy says no funny business it means he has/is/or would really like there to be some...... thats my story and I am sticking to it....................

3 comments:

robbles said...

what's Dan P doing with you and Lemmy??

Mike the Spike said...

First of all, my first attempt vanished as I tried to send it, so sorry if I've sent my message twice!
I came across this when searching for 'UMIST rock disco' It's a good read and brings the memories back. Have you seen 'Jilly`s rock club Manchester in 1980`s' it's a group on Facebook where ex Jilly's punters can post their photos and get in touch with old friends again.I've been pondering on sticking a UMIST group on Facebook, but I haven't any photos; so it would be difficult to get going. I can only find 3 pictures of UMIST rock disco on the net and they are from the 70's. I thought I saw cameras flashing in UMIST all the time, but that might be something I drank...

Give a shit said...

Lemmy would F##K anything that was up for it